A section of Yosemite National Park may be infected with Hantavirus, a rodent-borne disease which killed a man there this summer.
This story sounds like every camper's nightmare. A man who stayed in a tent village in the California park died from Hantavirus, and a woman became seriously ill.
It's pretty rare for people to contract the disease, but you should take precautions when lodging outdoors. Make sure to keep an eye out for animal droppings, and if you see any, get out of there quick, and contact the nearest medical personnel.
But, honestly, park authorities should shoulder the blame for this mini-outbreak of Hantavirus. If the Yosemite facilities were cleaned properly in the first place, it wouldn't have occurred.
The man and woman, who appeared not to know each other, stayed at Curry Village during roughly the same period in June. After the man died, Yosemite officials investigated, and discovered deer mice feces in the area. Do you believe park officials are liable for this death? Or, did the man take on an inherent risk in staying at outdoor lodging?