A bug eating contest turned fatal after Edward Archbold, 32, dropped dead. The man really wanted the grand prize -- which happened to be a python. This story is stranger than fiction and goes to show that some people will put anything in their mouths for some of the dumbest rewards. Unfortunately all the humor in this story is tainted by the fact that a life is lost, but really, who the hell eats cockroaches to win a python? They're only like $75.00 to begin with.
After eating several dozen cockroaches Edward Archbold complained that he wasn't feeling very well. That's when he reportedly began to vomit. Immediately later he collapsed in front of the Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, Florida. He's now dead.
An autopsy hasn't yet been released on the man, but it's odd that "dozens" of cockroaches would kill him. Never mind the fact that they're completely disgusting, but it's not really commonly known as to whether or not they're toxic. It seems weird to think that they could have contributed to the death of Archbold.
After reading this story, would you ever eat a bug to win something, even if it was an insect you believed to be harmless?
Photo: ABC Action News
Crime analyst & profiler Chelsea Hoffman can be found on Huffington Post or Chelsea Hoffman: Case to Case. You can follow her on Twitter @TheRealChelseaH or contact her via her personal blog. Fan the Facebook page for updates on missing persons cases, issues in civil rights and details on Chelsea's fiction novels.